Q1) Why do I have an “Advising Required” hold on my Student Center account?

A1) It is university policy that new students and those recently transferred who have not completed at least two semesters at UNT Dallas will have an "Advising Required" hold on their account. Students who are on academic probation will also have an "Advising Required" hold on their account. Any student with an "Advising Required" or "TSI not complete" hold in his/her student center is required to make an appointment to meet with an academic advisor prior to registration. (You may call 972-338-1645 to make your appointment or e-mail Advising@untdallas.edu) This is to advise students on selecting the best possible courses to ensure academic success. Upon successful completion of the appointment, the student will receive an "Advising Code" from their advisor which they can use to remove the hold when they register for classes.

Q2) I can’t register because I have a “Student Financial Obligation” hold on my account. How do I remove it?

A2) Most students have this on their account at least once at one time or another. It is used to acknowledge your responsibility towards making financial arrangements to UNT Dallas to cover the expense of tuition (i.e. Scholarships, Financial Aid, out-of-pocket, and/or VA benefits). It also provides authorization between you and UNT Dallas to conduct financial transactions online. In order to acknowledge this agreement, you may remove the hold by 1) logging into ... using your EUID and password, 2) Select the link “Remove Holds” (For Summer/Fall registration there will be two links – select either), 3) Once you have read the document; scroll to the bottom and select “Confirm” and the message will appear: “No current hold information found” (If it was the last remaining hold). You are now ready to register!

Q3) Can I take online courses at UNT Denton?

A3) Yes, UNT Dallas students in most majors are allowed to take online courses at UNT Denton throughout the 2014-2015 Academic Year. You may register for classes in Denton after the 2014-2015 Academic Year, but will be required to complete an Admissions Application starting in the Fall 2015 Semester (The application fee will be waived so it is free!). However, business majors are currently restricted from taking business foundation and other upper level courses until they have declared their major. For any exceptions, students would have to seek approval through UNT Denton’s appeal process which makes this option limited. Please note: Tuition is slightly higher at UNT Denton than UNT Dallas. Please check UNT Denton’s web site for current costs per hour. The costs per hour for UNT Dallas can be found at: http://www.untdallas.edu/sfs/cost.

Q4) Can I take an online course at UNT Denton with a -950 section number?

A4) No, unless you are a student residing out-of-state. Since the tuition scale is different for Non-Residents vs. Texas Residents, UNT Denton has separated the classes by section number. Online courses designated for “Non-Texas Residents” end with a -950 section number. Online courses commonly designated for “Texas Residents” end with a -900 section number. Therefore, most students who are Texas residents would select an online course with an -900 section number or one designated for a Texas resident.

Q5) I am trying to register for a course here at UNT Dallas, but it says that I need a “permission code.”  What should I do?

A5) Certain courses are restricted at UNT Dallas. These will be indicated on the schedule and in the “Class Notes” section on classes searched in my.unt.edu as “RESTRICTED COURSE. APPROVAL REQUIRED. CONTACT DEPARTMENT.” In most cases as indicated, you should contact the department first for approval. If the course requires some intervention on our part in Advising, they will refer you to us.

Q6) I am trying to register for an online course at UNT Denton, but it says that I need a “permission code.”  What should I do?

A6) Some instructors at UNT Denton place restrictions on their courses and require a “permission code” for their classes due to certain prerequisites or requirements. Please look at the course description in UNT’s Catalog online to see if you meet prerequisites. The prerequisites can be found at the bottom of the course descriptions. If you qualify, you will need to contact the instructor for the permission code. You may use the Campus Directory through your MYUNT account or through the Campus Directory website. Please be sure to include your student ID in your request and in all correspondence.  This will help the instructor to view your degree audit if necessary to see if you have met prerequisites/requirements and expedite the process to receive your code.

Q7) Can I take classes at a community college while I am attending UNT Dallas?

A7) Yes, this is called “concurrent enrollment.” However, a student in residence at UNT Dallas who wishes to enroll concurrently at another college should first secure the permission of the appropriate dean or academic advisor at UNT Dallas. (UNT Dallas Catalog). Courses taken at another college should be part of the *Texas Common Course Numbering System" (TCCNS) to be considered equivalent or will be subject to Department approval. To gain approval for TCCNS equivalent courses, students will need to complete a Concurrent Enrollment Request form. To gain approval for non-TCCNS equivalent courses, students will need to complete an academic exception form. Another resource to understand course compatibility is UNT’s TCCNS Chart. Once the course has been completed, submit a copy of your updated transcript to the Office of the Registrar. Please remember courses taken at another institution, which have not been previously approved, may not apply to your UNT Dallas degree plan!  Please note:  Concurrent enrollment is not allowed for Seniors in their final graduating semester.

Q8) Can I bring my transcript to be updated in the UNT Dallas system by my advisor?

A8) Unfortunately, no. We as advisors are not authorized to input transferred classes into UNT Dallas’ computer systems. Please submit your sealed transcripts to be updated at the Registrar’s office. However, you are encouraged to bring current transcripts as supporting documents for evaluation towards degree requirements in the interim until the Registrar’s office has completed their update.

Q9) I want to change my major, do I need to see an advisor?

A9) Yes, it is required that you consult with an advisor before changing your major. It is also advantageous to discuss this with an advisor or at least someone familiar with the degree you are seeking (i.e. faculty member) before you make a final decision to see if it is really the best fit for you. There may also be certain requirements regarding the major you are considering in which you may not be aware of and may extend your graduation date. In order to change your major, an advisor would complete a change of major form (if approved) and you would provide this form to the Registrar’s office.

Q10) What is the difference between UNT GPA and Cumulative GPA?

A10) UNT GPA is the GPA of all courses attempted within the UNT system—at Denton or Dallas. Cumulative GPA includes courses transferred in from other institutions combined (overall) with classes attempted within the UNT system.

Q11) Which GPA is used to determine if I graduate with honors?

A11) The Cumulative GPA.

Q12) What is the minimum GPA I need to graduate with honors and what levels of distinctions are there?

A12) A 3.5 CGPA and the different levels of distinctions are: cum laude 3.5 to 3.699, magna cum laude 3.7 to 3.899, and summa cum laude 3.9 to 4.00.

Q13) I don’t agree with the grade I received from my professor. How can I appeal my grade?

A13) You should immediately try to resolve this by discussing it with your professor. If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you may submit a written petition for appeal to the chair of the faculty member's department within three (3) days of learning the result of the informal conversation with the faculty member. You may find the policy on how to proceed under Student Policies. Remember - Students bear the burden of proof to support their petition and may be required to provide supporting justification/documentation to appeal their case. Also, please read this document carefully as there are some time sensitive stipulations in this process!

Q14) My last advisor made a mistake on my degree worksheet. What can I do about this?

A14) It is our endeavor not to make any mistakes whatsoever, but we are human. Due to the volume of students we see on a continuing basis, it is statistically inevitable that this will occur on rare occasions. Think of the degree worksheet as a visual aid which reflects the coursework and requirements of your degree as seen in your Interactive Degree Audit. However, it is the degree audit in which the Registrar’s office is going to refer to when it comes time for graduation. This is why we strongly encourage students to learn how to run, use, and read their Interactive Degree Audit on a regular basis.

Mistakes can also occur on the degree audit. If you feel that either your worksheet or degree audit is in error, you should point this out to us immediately. If it is within our power, we will gladly make the correction. Remember, we in advising do exactly that – “advise” to help support you and point you in the right direction to be academically successful. However, it is still your life, major, and career. You still have a responsibility to yourself to double-check and make sure you are meeting all graduation requirements as listed in your university catalog. 

Q15) What is a Graduation Check and why do I need one?

A15) A graduation check is the last final check to make sure all requirements have been met in order to graduate. You certainly do not want any unexpected surprises with some requirement not being fulfilled! A graduation check should be completed the semester before you intend to graduate or at the beginning of the graduating semester at the latest. If there is a discrepancy, then you should have time to make an adjustment (i.e. add/drop). If you have over 21 credit hours left to graduate (Including courses in-progress), then it is too early to have a grad check (unless you plan on taking 18 hours the last semester).  When you file your graduation application at the Registrar’s office, a completed graduation check form will also be expected from you to turn in that you received from the Advising office. You may contact the Advising office at (972) 338-1645 or e-mail Advising@untdallas.edu to request a graduation check and a completed graduation check form will be returned to you via e-mail.

Q16) I am a Senior, when do I have to apply for graduation?

A16) You will need to file your application with the Registrar’s office at the beginning of your (final) graduating semester. The Registrar’s office typically announces when they will start accepting applications within the first two weeks of the semester. Please note: The Registrar’s office will not accept applications prior to the final semester, so please do not make any requests of them beforehand!

Q17) Where can I find out when the next commencement ceremony will occur?

A17) The date/time and additional information is listed on the Registrar’s website at: http://www.untdallas.edu/registrar/commencement.

Q18) Can I do “concurrent enrollment” in my final graduating semester?

A18) Unfortunately, no. There was a time when students were allowed to do this, but this practice has been discontinued. Please plan ahead to do any concurrent enrollment prior to your final semester.

Q19) Why can I not make an appointment through GradesFirst?

A19) UNT Dallas at has decided to discontinue using GradesFirst for the Academic Advising Department. If you wish to make an appointment with an advisor, please contact the Advising Center Main Desk at (972) 338-1645 or e-mail Advising@untdallas.edu.