The sport and entertainment industries are among the largest and fastest growing fields in the United States. They bring together professionals in sports, music, film, theater, television, radio, cable, gaming, venue and hospitality management, and a multitude of other entertainment industries. If the sport and entertainment fields are vast, so too are their employment opportunities, with careers ranging from performance, marketing, writing, broadcasting, and the arts to pro sports. Each of these fields requires talented, well-trained, and career-ready employees who can hit the ground running with specialized and unique skills. It is the goal of the UNT Dallas Sport and Entertainment Marketing (SEM) program to provide you with the courses and training you need to enter the SEM workplace. Sport and Entertainment Marketing is currently a concentration in the Bachelor of Applied Arts Degree at UNTD. We anticipate that this area of study will become a major in Fall 2015; the major is currently undergoing the approval process. In the meantime, the BAAS degree offers the Sport and Entertainment Marketing concentration.
Description of the Field
Students in the Sport and Entertainment Marketing program study everything from the nuts and bolts of sports ticket sales to concert promotion and the development of collateral products. They dive into the sociology behind sports and entertainment offerings, analyzing emerging consumer trends to see how they might influence preferences or even product development. UNTD students also study SEM legal and ethical issues and practice what they learn in class through internships and course projects. UNTD faculty are committed to building an integrated learning environment that focuses on business, communication, and direct experiences in the field. It is our goal to provide coursework and applied training that allows UNTD students to enter the industry with exceptional knowledge, professional preparation, a strong regional network, and the confidence to assume leadership positions in sport and entertainment marketing.
- Recording companies
- Sports organizations
- Concert promotion companies
- Television stations
- Video and audio production firms
- Talent agencies
- Event production agencies
- Casinos and resorts
- Fashion design firms
- Sport promotion companies
Possible Job Titles
After earning your degree in Sport and Entertainment Marketing, you can choose from a wide variety of career options. Some are listed below.
- Event management
- Advertising and public relations
- Tours and travel management
- Venues and facilities management
- SEM law
- Media sales
- Sports writing and broadcasting
- Sport management
- Graphics and illustration
- Take your education seriously — Earn good grades. They are an indicator of your commitment to your work and evidence of a strong work ethic. Even after leaving school, you’ll want to stay current with courses and seminars that can advance your career.
- Meet people in the field! Look for ways to build a strong network with many different kinds of SEM career professionals.
- Hone your communication skills.
- Actively participate in student organizations in college to build confidence and leadership skills. Participate in university and community projects that will help you build your toolbox of skills. After graduation, continue to seek out ways to participate in professional organizations and your community.
- Follow your interests. Listen to your instincts and pursue what you find interesting, fascinating, and fulfilling. It’s important to enjoy the work that takes so much of your time and effort!
National Sports Marketing Network-- http://www.sportsmarketingnetwork.com/
Sport Marketing Association-- http://sportmarketingassociation.net/
North American Society for Sport Management-- http://www.nassm.com/
National Organization for Sports Commissions-- http://www.sportscommissions.org/