All U.S. States require post-secondary educational institutions to be legally authorized to provide post-secondary educational instruction in their states. Many of these state laws and regulations also apply to online, distance and correspondence educational instruction offered in that state. As such, the University of North Texas at Dallas (UNTD) and its online/distance educations courses must be authorized in certain states prior to offering those courses or programs to students residing in those states.

Federal and State Regulations on ‘State Authorization’ of Distance Education

The State Authorization Regulation Chapter 34, + 600.9(c) “If an institution is offering postsecondary education through distance or correspondence education to students in a State in which it is not physically located or in which it is otherwise subject to State jurisdiction as determined by the State, the institution must meet any State requirements for it to be legally offering distance or correspondence education in that State. An institution must be able to document to the Secretary the State’s approval upon request.”

Information on Federal and State Regulations on ‘State Authorization’ of Distance Education (PDF)

NC-SARA Approved Institution Logo

The University of North Texas at Dallas continues to work to meet federal and state authorization requirements in states outside of Texas. We serve out-of-state students and work with state authorization agencies to meet institutional authorization requirements. We are a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreementsand are authorized to offer our online courses to students located outside the state of Texas as listed on the SARA States & Institutions Page (majority of US States).


Distance Learning Complaint Process for Out of State Students

UNT Dallas desires to resolve student grievances, complaints and concerns in an expeditious, fair and amicable manner. Students residing outside of the State of Texas while attending UNTD and taking an online course who desire to resolve a grievance, should first through the institution’s standard procedure for resolution of student grievances. If a student is not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional process, the complaint may then be brought to the responsible state agency in the home state.