If you’re not eligible to apply for federal financial aid, then you may be able to receive aid from the state. You apply for state financial aid by completing the Texas Application for State Financial Aid.

State and/or Institutional Financial Aid Eligibility through Texas Residency
Since September 1, 2001, Texas Legislation (House Bill 1403) has allowed schools in the state of Texas the opportunity to award certain state and/or institutional financial aid to assist students pursuing an undergraduate degree if they met the state’s criteria for Texas Residency.  New legislation enacted effective Fall 2006 (Senate Bill 1528) expands the option for residency to other students, too (not just international students).

Currently, the University of North Texas will accept the paper Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Texas Application for Federal Student Aid (TASFA) application to consider eligible new and continuing students for state and/or institutional financial aid.

How will you know if you’re able to fill out the Texas Application for State Financial Aid? See the chart below to find out.




I am a U.S. Citizen


I am a permanent resident with visa type I-551C


I am a conditional permanent resident with visa type I-551C


I am an eligible noncitizen with an Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) showing one of the following:

  • Refugee
  • Asylum granted
  • Parolee (for a minimum of one year
  • Cuban-Haitian entrant



T I do not meet one of the statuses above: however, I have been classified as a Texas resident and therefore am eligible to pay the Texas in-state tuition rate. My classification as a Texas resident is NOT due to an in-state scholarship or assistantship.


TASFA Application
Download the 2010-2011 TASFA Application. Download the 2011-2012 TASFA Application.(The form requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to be viewed. You can download Acrobat Reader from http://get.adobe.com/reader.)

    •    The University of North Texas at Dallas Admissions Office determines if students meet the state’s requirements for Texas Residency.  If you believe your residency should be reclassified, please contact the Admissions Office.  Please Note: You must be classified as a Texas resident in order to qualify for state and/or institutional student financial aid.  Also, keep in mind that state definitions of residency have NO impact on a student’s eligibility for federal student financial aid.

    •    If you meet the state’s requirement for Texas Residency, please download the TAFSA application using the link on our website, and forward the completed application to our office for review and consideration.

    •    In order to receive state and/or institutional financial aid, program and student eligibility as well as availability of funding may affect the financial aid awarded to you.