Professional Licensure Disclosures

University of North Texas at Dallas (UNT Dallas) offers programs leading to professional licensure within the State of Texas. States vary in what professions they require to be licensed and how licensure is acquired. Some states require an individual to graduate from an accredited program. Others require individuals to obtain additional coursework, additional fieldwork, background checks, passage of additional state licensing exams, additional fees, or other requirements.


University of North Texas at Dallas (UNT Dallas) is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, a regional accreditation body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For more information, visit the UNT Dallas Accreditation website.


State Authorization refers to federal, state, and professional licensing board regulations that impact online education offered across state lines. Compliance with these regulations ensures that a degree from the University of North Texas at Dallas (UNT Dallas) will be recognized. However, the requirements for licensure vary from state to state. UNT Dallas is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA)  which allows us to provide distance learning programs (both online and in the form of supervised field experiences) and coursework to residents of states other than Texas. NC-SARA membership, however, does not grant reciprocity or exempt us from state professional licensing requirements. As a result, licensing requirements in Texas may not be recognized as sufficient to obtain a license in any other state.


Relocating during the course of a program to another state may impact the student’s ability to remain in the program, meet the state licensure requirements, and/or continue to receive financial aid funding. Prior to considering relocation, please contact your program to discuss authorization and licensure eligibility requirements.


University of North Texas at Dallas (UNT Dallas) currently does not admit or enroll students residing outside of the United States in programs and courses. Prior to enrolling in any program at UNT Dallas, prospective students living and/or working outside of the United States should verify their current residency status makes them eligible to enroll in program and courses and for financial aid. Prospective students should also confirm with the appropriate certifying agency whether successful completion of any degree program at UNT Dallas will meet the credentialing requirements of the country in which they intend to seek employment, as to certain types of employment or for advanced/specialized educational programs.


University of North Texas at Dallas offers multiple programs designed to lead to licensure or certification in the state of Texas. This means that, when a student graduates from a licensure program at UNT Dallas, he or she has the minimum educational qualifications to apply for Texas licensure. For other U.S. states and territories, this may or may not be the case, as educational requirements vary from state to state and are subject to change.

UNTD has not made a determination whether these programs will meet all of the educational requirements of all other US states or territories. 

The licensure boards in each state are responsible for establishing the requirements for licensure/certification for their state.  The state professional licensing boards make the ultimate decision as to whether or not an individual will be eligible for licensure based on the rules and regulations in place at the time the individual submits their application for licensure. 

It is strongly recommended that students who are not Texas residents or who plan to seek licensure or certification outside the state of Texas contact the appropriate licensing agency or board before enrolling in an academic program designed to lead to licensure or certification and discuss their plans with an advisor. 

Students who intend to return or move to any state other than Texas need to review the professional licensure disclosures pertaining to their program and consult with the state professional licensing board.  For more information on Professional Licensure, visit the NC-SARA Profession Licensure Resource website for a detailed discussion of what students should consider in licensure programs as well as access to the NC-SARA Professional Licensure Directory.

Use the links provided below for information about specific programs leading to certification or licensure.


Clinical Mental Health Counseling

Human Services Management and Leadership


School Counseling

Teacher Education