Greetings Students, Faculty and Staff,
The university leadership thanks each of you for your diligence, tenacity and flexibility as you’ve successfully adapted to learning and working in a virtual environment. As we continue to thrive in this changing COVID-19 environment, the university remains focused on providing a safe environment for our students to learn and for our employees to work.
For the past few weeks, the university has conducted student surveys, polled employees and followed the progression of COVID-19 cases throughout Dallas county. Based on this information, the university will continue to operate in a safety-first mode and will offer Spring 2021 courses in a virtual learning format.
The following information pertains to the Spring 2021 semester only.
The university will continue its test optional admissions policy, suspending minimum SAT and ACT scores. UNT Dallas tuition will not increase. We are happy to announce that UNT Dallas will extend winter break by one week. As such, the UNT Dallas main campus will offer courses predominately in a virtual learning format beginning January 19, 2021. The spring semester will end on the same date as previously scheduled. See details below. Only a few select classes will meet on the UNT Dallas campus. The majority of Spring 2021 classes will be conducted in a virtual learning format. Class instruction will be provided with the use of videoconference technology (Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc.), recorded lectures and Canvas, our designated online platform.
Revised Spring 2021 Calendar for UNT Dallas Main Campus:
- Extended winter break
- Classes begin January 19
- No spring break
- University closed and no classes held April 2
- Final exams held May 3-8
- Final grades due May 10
Faculty who were scheduled to teach face to face classes should plan to meet via videoconference on the first day of classes at the scheduled time to discuss how the class will be conducted throughout the semester. Faculty should send the enrolled students a link to the videoconference meeting prior to the first day of class.
The UNT Dallas College of Law (COL) will open for faculty and staff only on January 11. Classes at the COL will begin on January 19, with some classes offered face-to-face and other classes offered in a hybrid or virtual learning format. All students are advised to review the syllabus for each of their courses on Canvas to determine how class content will be delivered. The COL will distribute revised Spring 2021 calendar dates to law students by October 16.
In order to assist students with the technology needed to successfully learn from home, UNT Dallas will have a limited number of Chromebooks, laptops and WiFi hotspots available to check out for those who need support. Students may request technology support by calling, texting or emailing: 972-503-9253 or StudentSolutions@untdallas.edu.
The university will operate with a limited number of staff members on campus. The majority of staff members will continue to work remotely, visiting campus only with a completed and approved Reopening Plan, located on our knowledge center webpage: https://www.untdallas.edu/covid19-guidelines. A disposable mask or an appropriate cloth face covering will be required at all times, while on campus.
Spring 2021 Semester Plan Details Include:
- Wisdom Hall will remain at 50% capacity with one student per room and bathroom
- Students residing in Wisdom Hall during the Fall 2020 semester may leave their personal belongings in the residence hall during the holiday break as long as the student plans to return to the residence hall in Spring 2021
- Starbucks will remain closed for the spring semester
- UNT Dallas Campus Police will continue to secure the university and are available to assist students with campus safety needs
- To strengthen social distancing protocols, boxed meals will be provided for students residing on campus
AVAILABLE SERVICES - ON CAMPUS
- Student Financial Services will open on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- The Student Health Clinic will open by appointment only. Telehealth appointments are encouraged
- The College of Law Library will open with social distancing guidelines and capacity limits strictly enforced
- The UNT Dallas main campus library will be closed. The virtual library is available 24-hours. Students may schedule an appointment to visit campus and pick-up library books or resources not available online
- Computer labs will open by appointment only with limited hours
- External use of university space will be limited; decisions will be made on a case by case basis
- Our E-sports and athletic teams will continue to compete during the spring semester
AVAILABLE SERVICES - VIRTUAL
- Telehealth appointments are available with the campus health clinic
- All offices and student services are available virtually, including counseling, tutoring, the learning commons, advising services, career services and internships; for a complete list and contact information, visit https://www.untdallas.edu/covid-19-faqs-students
- The Campus Bookstore is closed for the spring semester, but is available for online book orders UNT Dallas bookstore website
- Faculty members will continue to report mid-term grades for 1000-2000 level classes and provide early alerts to keep students informed of their academic progress
- In order to provide a level of personal interaction with students, all faculty members will be available for virtual office hours; full-time faculty members will offer 8-hours of virtual office hours each week
- Trailblazer Elite will operate virtually with occasional in-person activities; counseling, advising and mentoring services will be provided virtually
- The Early College High School program will operate virtually, starting January 19, with special attention provided through programming; laptop and WiFi assistance is available
- To ensure the health and safety of our employees, only 25-30% of our total staff members will return to work on campus; the majority of staff will continue to work remotely
- The majority of faculty members will continue to work remotely, unless otherwise specified
- Staff, faculty and student workers who plan to return to campus must coordinate with their supervisor, follow all safety and social distancing protocols and their department must have an approved Reopening Plan on file
- The university will live stream the virtual ceremony for Spring, Summer and Fall 2020 graduates on December 11 at 6 p.m., allowing graduates to celebrate with their entire family
- On November 4and 10, the university will host campus photo shoots for graduates to take free commencement photos. Students will have access to the free Recognition Photo included in the virtual ceremony and will have the opportunity to purchase additional photos
- More information regarding specific details will be sent to graduates next week
The university leadership will continue to work with the campus committees to monitor our on-going health crisis and make decisions that provide the best educational environment while keeping our students and employees safe. Our goal is to provide each of our students with the tools to complete the semester successfully and for our seniors to graduate. Please continue to check your campus email and visit our knowledge center at untdallas.edu/covid for additional information, current updates and required protocols for anyone visiting or returning to campus.
The health of our Trailblazer community is extremely important to all of us. We hope that you continue to follow the Center for Disease Control guidelines, as well as local and state recommendations to help keep you, your family and your Trailblazer community safe.
Wishing you good health and a successful semester,
UNT Dallas President