Who is Ronald E. McNair?
Ronald Erwin McNair was an American NASA astronaut and physicist. He died at the age of 35 during the launch of the Space Shuttle Challenger on mission STS-51-L on January 28, 1986, in which he was serving as one of three mission specialists in a crew of seven. Prior to the Challenger disaster, McNair flew as a mission specialist on STS-41-B aboard Challenger from February 3 to 11, 1984, becoming the second African American and the first Bahá’ i to fly in space.
Become a McNair Scholar
The McNair Scholars Program is a federal funded program designed to assist undergraduate students who are interested in obtaining a doctoral degree through their involvement in research and other scholarly activities. UNT Dallas McNair Scholars Program will help to prepare students through professional, social, emotional, and educational activities throughout the course of their undergraduate degree.
McNair Scholar Eligibility
- U.S. Citizen or meet the residency requirements for federal student financial assistance.
- Current undergraduate enrolled at UNT Dallas in a bachelor’s degree program. Have earned at least 45+ undergraduate credits and be classified as a rising Junior in the summer.
- Goal of pursing a doctoral degree (Ph.D.).
- Must be income eligible by the U.S. Department of Education listed here, and be a first generation college student, OR
- Be a member of a underrepresented group in graduate education (African American, Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander, Native Hawaiian, etc.)
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher when applying.
- Travel – Our scholars receive paid accommodations when travel in-state and out-of-state for conferences and college visits.
- Research Stipend – Qualifying participants receive a stipend for their research participation and engagement, up to $2,800.00 annually.
- Graduate School Funding – There are several institutions throughout the country that provide funding for McNair Scholars to attend their institution.
Documentation Needed when Applying
- Personal Statement
- Writing Sample (previous paper submitted for a grade)
- FASFA/Student Aid Report
- Two letters of Recommendation
McNair Scholars Program