Graduate Level Paths to Certification
Have you always wanted to become a teacher? Are you curious about how to get a teaching certificate? The Alternative Teacher Certification Program at UNT Dallas prepares candidates for initial teacher certification. The program produces teachers who are certified to teach in Texas public, charter, and private K—12 schools.
Post-baccalaureate students can earn initial teacher certification through the following options:
- Alternative certification (stand-alone certificate) – 24 credits
- Master's degree + certification – 36 credits
Graduate Alternative Teacher Certification Program
There are two steps to apply for admission to a graduate program.
- Complete the Apply Texas Application.(Generates your UNT Dallas ID# once downloaded.)
- Complete the Graduate School General Application Form. (Must use Google Chrome browser.)
The application requires you to provide the following documentation:
- Proof of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- Official transcripts from each institution where course credit was granted
- 3.0 GPA in your last sixty credit hours of undergraduate coursework or a 2.8 GPA on all undergraduate coursework
- Required minimum content courses or passing score on the appropriate PACT exam. The scores are due by the end of the first semester of enrollment to be officially accepted into the education program.
Successful teaching requires a combination of both academic and interpersonal skills. Behaviors, skills, abilities, and dispositions which are required for successful teaching as well as the candidate's general level of readiness for teaching in K –12 classrooms are regularly assessed.
All candidates requesting placement in K –12 schools must complete a criminal background check. Each school district has its own background check process and requirements that must be met before the school district will approve a candidate's placement.
The curriculum in the Curriculum and Instruction program includes work in pedagogy, instructional strategies, and leadership skills necessary to improve classroom teaching and educational programs.
Classes may include courses such as:
- Instructional Behavior and Management
- Principles of Professional Teaching
- Curriculum Development
- Research in Education
- Curriculum Assessment
Clinical Teaching and Internship
Clinical teaching is the state-required culminating experience of the teacher certification process. This is either a one-semester (six credit hours), unpaid, full-time experience in a local public school classroom or a year-long, paid internship. All coursework from the certification plan must be completed prior to the start of clinical teaching. The TExES Content Exam must be passed as well.Current Students
A minimum of 30 clock hours of field experience observation are required by the state; our program involves 45 hours embedded within the certification course requirements. Students must complete this requirement before clinical teaching.
Teacher Certification Exams
The Texas Examination of Educational Standards (TExES) is the state required teacher examination for all Texas educators. A candidate's certification area and level will determine which TExES educator certification tests are required.
Candidates should determine the tests necessary for their chosen area of certification: Texas Educator Certification Exams.
You will find the certification information on our certification webpage for the test approval process and TExES preparation materials.
The certification officer will recommend candidates to the state of Texas for issuance of a teaching certification after all the following criteria have been met:
- Successful completion of all certification coursework (18 credits)
- Passing scores on all the required certification exams
- Credit for student teaching or internship posted to the transcript (6 credits)
- Completed Request for Licensure form submitted to the certification officer with required attachments
- Completed application for certification through TEA website including fingerprints and payment.