Student Choice Refund Options
The University of North Texas at Dallas has partnered with Nelnet to process student refunds for all UNTD and COL students. This partnership allows for more efficient processing of refunds. Refunds sent to Nelnet will be processed according to the refunding method the student has elected.
- Direct Deposit (ACH) – If you choose this option, you will need to enter your existing bank routing and account numbers. Typically this takes 2-3 days for the money to become available in your account from the date your refund is processed.
- Prepaid Debit Card - If you choose this option, you will need to enter the routing and account numbers for the card. Typically this takes 2-3 days for the money to become available in your account from the date your refund is processed.
How do I select a refund method?
- Log in to myUNTD or myLAW
- Click on the Student Account tile.
- Click on the “Refunds” link on the left side of the screen.
- Click on “Manage UNT Refund Choice”.
- This will take you to the QuikPAY / Student Choice Refund site where you select your refund preference.
- Confirm your identity with Authorization Code by student email or text.
- Then complete refund selection - choose between direct deposit or a reloadable debit card of your choice
Important Information Regarding Refunds
Some types of financial aid can only be used to pay for certain charges. Therefore, you may receive a refund even if you have outstanding charges on your student account. If a balance remains on your account after you receive a financial aid refund, you are responsible for paying it in full on time each semester. Please review your student account frequently throughout each term for balances owed.
It is important to note that credit balances resulting from self-payments (ex. Cash, check, credit card, etc.) will be used to pay any outstanding debt owed to the University, to include debt for future terms. Credit balances resulting from sponsored payments will be reviewed to determine whether the funds should be returned to the sponsor.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a refund?
A refund is issued by Student Business Services when a credit balance exists on a student account after all eligible tuition and fees are paid. Refunds may consist of excess financial aid and/or other payments applied to a student account.
When are refund processed?
Refunds are process on Tuesday and Thursday by Student Business Services.
What is the difference between a disbursement and a refund?
- A disbursement is the process in which financial aid and/or scholarships are released to the school to pay towards eligible charges on a student’s account.
- A refund is the process in which any remaining funds not used for applied to your tuition, fee and other eligible expenses you owe are paid to you.
- Refunds will be released to the refund method that you have selected through Nelnet (Direct Deposit or Reloadable Debit Card).
Who processes refunds?
Student Business Services processes refunds to students and to parents who have been approved for a Direct PLUS Loan.
Who is Nelnet? What services do they provide?
Nelnet Business Solutions is a third-party provider of online student account services. UNTD has partnered with Nelnet Business Solutions to provide payment and refunding services to UNTD students.
What if I do not make a refund selection choice?
By selecting a refund preference through Student Choice Refunds you are ensuring that any refunds due to you will be delivered as expediently as possible. If you do not select a refund preference, your refund will be mailed to you by Student Business Services.
Can I change my refund method after it is set up?
Yes, you can change your refund preference at any time by logging into myUNT and following the steps to access your Student Choice Refunds portal. Once your new refund preference is selected it will be used for any future refunds issued by UNTD.
Will I be notified that a refund is being processed?
Yes. You will receive an email once your refund has been sent to Nelnet for processing. You can also view your student account and any refunds within student portal at any time. To view the status of your refunds, log into myUNTD or myLAW and click on Student Accounts and then "Term Summary". Your refund(s) will appear at the bottom of your Term Summary.