Attention students: The Learning Commons will close Friday, April 15, at 3:00pm and will resume hours Monday, April 18. Enjoy the break! For any questions feel free to contact us.
Motivate. Strengthen. Support.
What is the Learning Commons?
The Learning Commons is also known as the center for tutoring. We are located in the NEW Student Service Building on the 2nd floor. Our mission is to:
- motivate students to persevere and persist in their academic journeys,
- strengthenstudents' cognitive skills by challenging them to think critically and problem-solve independently in a collaborative environment,
- and support students' academic, professional, and personal development in a way that helps them connect academia to real-world application.
How Can We Help?
The Learning Commons consists of three main tutoring areas:
- Writing Center (writing support)
- Math Lab (math support)
- Peer Tutoring (general subject tutoring, such as science, accounting, finance, and statistics)
- Supplemental Instruction (SI) and Study Prep Leaders
All of our tutoring services are FREE for students enrolled at UNT Dallas. Whether you feel like you need extra resources and tools or just want to extend your learning in a social environment, the Learning Commons is here to help. We also offer FREE online tutoring services through Smarthinking. Check out the Smarthinking tab for more information.
Who Are We?
Our team consists of well-trained professional and student staff who are committed to enhance students’ self-worth and confidence through relationships of trust and a challenge-and-support approach. All of our student staff are faculty recommended and go through a vigorous hiring and training process to ensure that our students have the best experience while visiting the Learning Commons. We have a mixture of undergraduate and graduate writing consultants and peer learning consultants (PLCs), and our professional staff includes Tutoring and Learning Specialists, STEM/SI Associates, and Writing Associates.
The Learning Commons is open 6 days a week and now open later in the evenings to accommodate our UNT Dallas students. For assistance scheduling an appointment, visit our How-To page and videos or visit our Contact Us page.
SPRING 2022 HOURS: *January 10th - May 7th
|Monday - Thursday||10:00am - 10:00p||10:00am - 10:00p|
|Friday & Saturday||12:00pm - 7:00p||12:00pm - 7:00p|
The Writing Center operates on an appointment basis, so students must schedule appointments online, over the phone, or in person (when facilities are open) to work with a writing tutor. Online tutoring takes two forms: Email Tutoring and Real-Time Video Tutoring. Students can submit their papers for written feedback (Email Tutoring) or can schedule a virtual appointment and interface online with a tutor (Real-Time Video Tutoring).
All other subjects are also available on an appointment basis. Students will reserve their tutoring appointment slots on WCOnline, and tutoring sessions will be held using Zoom for Real-Time Video Tutoring. Not all tutors work every day, which means that all subjects may be not be available at all times. For schedules for specific tutors and/or subjects, visit the "Math," "Science," or "Business" tabs for more information.
In person tutoring will only be available Tuesdays and Wednesdays beginning January 18th. We expect that these sessions will fill up quickly, so we encourage students to contact us EARLY to get on the schedule. For scheduling and availability, please call us at 972.338.1755.
SPRING 2022 HOURS: *January 18th - May 7th
|Tuesday & Wednesday||10:00am - 4:00p||10:00am - 4:00p|
|Scheduling||Call to schedule||Call to schedule|
In-Person Tutoring Information:
- We HIGHLY encourage students to wear masks and/or face-shields when they come for sessions.
- Sessions will be held in the small tutoring rooms, and we can only accommodate one student at a time (1 student to 1 tutor).
- Students will need to arrive 5 minutes before the start of their appointment. Because of the sanitation/cleaning process needed in between sessions, we will NOT be able to make up time if students are late for appointments.
- Upon arrival, students will need to check in at the front desk. When their tutor is ready, they will be escorted to the tutoring room. At the end of each session, the tutor will escort the student back to the front desk.
- Appointments will start on the hour of every hour between 10a and 4p, with the last session starting at 3p.
- Each session will last no more than 45 minutes. This will provide our staff time to properly sanitize the space before the next session.
- Students will be able to schedule ONE 45-minute in-person appointment per day.
- If students miss or are marked as no-shows for 3 appointments at any point in time during the semester, they will be required to attend virtual tutoring for the remainder of the semester and forfeit their rights to in-person tutoring.
- If students need to cancel or reschedule appointments, please call, email, or log on to WCOnline.